Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dancing with my girlfriends

We had a Swedish G.N.O. (girls' night out) recently. It involved drinks and girl talk, a nice dinner, and the thing we all love: dancing. There was live music by an excellent rock band that played covers of all our favorite songs, and we hit the dance floor the minute we got there, only taking breaks for a refreshing beverage or two.

I've always loved dancing. As teens, my friends and I would spend hours getting ready for some inane school dance, and that was the fun part: doing each other's hair and makeup, borrowing each other's clothes, talking about boys, and, yes, dancing. We'd pop in the latest mix tape and dance in a circle in the middle of the living room.

Now, a guy friend of mine thinks that this is the most annoying phenomenon ever. He says he hates it when girls in a club only dance with their girlfriends, and turn him down when he asks them to dance, or worse: act annoyed, like he's butting in. My friend is an attractive guy and a decent dancer, so I can certainly validate his frustration. Nobody should be rude.
But the flip side of that coin is this: no woman should stay off the dance floor just because there's no man available to dance with. If the spirit moves you, get out there and dance!

Believe it or not, I was a shy child. I'm not shy anymore, but like any woman, I battle my fair share of insecurities. My butt's too big, and my hair's too stringy. My teeth are crooked and there are lines around my eyes. Just to name a few. But guess what? Shyness and insecurity don't need to stop you from dancing with your girlfriends! After all, if you can't let your (stringy) hair down and let the rhythm move you in the safety of a circle of girlfriends, where on earth can you?

I refuse to be a woman dancing in her chair. I saw many of them at the club, and most of them were with a man. I guess their man didn't want to dance, so the women figured they were stuck to the chair. Their bodies moved to the music, and they longed to be out there on the dance floor. I know, because I've danced in my chair before.

Let me tell you, dancing in your chair is a poor substitute for dancing with your girlfriends. Get out there on the dance floor and take the lead in the musical of your life. Male dance partner welcome, but certainly not required.

No comments:

Post a Comment